Healthy Eating Equals Healthier Seniors
We all know that as we get older that our appetites can change and that we don’t metabolize our food the same way as we did when we were younger. We need to watch what we eat and how many calories we are taking in on a daily basis. Making poor choices can lead to weight gain, immune system issues, reduced energy levels and more.
The good news is that there are many ways that can help with seniors be more active, improve mental awareness, boost the immune system and just feel better living longer and stronger! Here are some of the things we can do to help.
Some of the ways to promote healthy eating habits among seniors include:
- Don’t increase the size of the plate or portion sizes. Instead of increasing the amount of food; increase the heaviness of it to create a fuller feeling.
- Eat at regular times and keep to the routine. Our bodies work optimally when a schedule is kept. Don’t skip meals either.
- Eat with other people! Sometimes eating alone can cause a decreased appetite. Socialized has been known to improve the amount of food that is eaten.
- Make the food that are eaten more tantalizing. Add seasonings, sauces, or other items to increase the smell factor.
- Don’t drink lots of liquids before or during the meal. Increased liquid consumption can create a full feeling and decrease an appetite.
It can be very hard for some seniors to maintain the proper eating habits as they get older. Following some of these ideas will certainly help to achieve good nutritional balance. It is important that we should be very aware of what our senior loved ones are eating in order to help them live longer and stronger lives.
Source: American Senior Communities (http://www.ascseniorcare.com/nutrition-for-seniors/)